Monday, November 28, 2011

Due Date

Many of you have been asking about Cale.  He has not yet arrived.  I assure you that we will not keep his birth a secret.  In fact, I’m sure his daddy will be updating Facebook regularly from the birth center with updates and photos.

Just to clarify, a baby’s due date is not the date a baby will be born unless the mommy is having a scheduled c-section or a scheduled induction.  In my case, I’m having neither.  I’m allowing my body to do just what God created it to do – have a baby when the baby is ready.  Most babies are born between 38 weeks and 42 weeks gestation.  The 40-week mark is simply halfway between these two and is, therefore, the “due date.”  It is the best guess the medical professionals can make as to when the baby might arrive.

Today I am 41 weeks and 3 days pregnant.  Cale is 10 days past his due date.  However, he is still within the 42-week window.  On Friday, Steve and I went to my midwife’s office for a non-stress test.  This is a standard test run at 41 weeks to ensure that the baby and the mommy are doing well.  They hooked my belly up to a monitor to listen to Cale’s heartbeat and his movements.  He was very wiggly and his heartbeat is strong.  Then they did an ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid to make sure that it wasn’t getting too low.  The low end of the threshold is 9.  My fluid is at 13, which I was told was a good place for it to be.  (I have no idea what these what numbers mean; but if you’re curious, I’m sure you can Google it.)  My blood pressure is normal.  I have no swelling.  There is no reason for concern.

This morning I am heading back to my midwife’s office for another exam.  As a matter of routine, she will run the same tests again to ensure that Cale is fine and that the placenta isn’t aging.

The best possible thing we can do is wait.  If Cale comes on his own, labor should be quick, easy and painless.

Should Cale not arrive on his own before Thursday, I will be admitted to the hospital Thursday morning, at 41 weeks and 6 days, for an induction.  This situation is, of course, less than ideal.  However, in the end, the desired result is healthy baby and healthy mommy.  I trust my healthcare providers and know that they are experienced and wise enough to help me get my baby here safely.  (But please, do not pray for this outcome.  It is safest and easiest for both me and Cale if Cale comes when Cale is ready without any medical intervention.)

In the meantime, I feel great.  Cale is obviously quite happy right where he is.  And there is nothing to worry about.  We will update you about his birth when it happens, which will be Thursday at the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment